Sunday, October 15, 2017

Launching a Technology Initiative


Technology Initiative Contract Example:

Technology Initiative Letter to Home Example:

In my Literacy in Middle and High Schools course, we  devoted some class time to developing an example of both a letter home to parents and a contract that would be theoretically signed if we were to launch a technology initiative in our made-up school. During class time, we gathered into our Professional Learning Communities, which is broken up by content area within the class, to discover and gain more insight about launching a technology initiative in a school community, while keeping in mind the concerns that may arise among parents and guardians. To create these examples, our PLC explored numerous contracts and letters home to parents that have already been used by schools across the country. We pulled sections and ideas from  multiple sources in order to create a message home to parents that first and foremost, their child will be safe and secure while on the internet at school, as well as pointing parents in the right direction for developing a safe and secure digital experience while students use their device at home. In our letter home, I feel as if we were explicit about having parents be actively involved in their students technological journey to not only keep them safe online, but as well as improve their digital literacy so they will be best prepared for the 21st century job market and world around them. Our PLC chose to start a Google Chromebook initiative, due to the influence of google classroom and the  cost of technology compared to something like an iPad. The contract starts off with a pledge, as well as providing a list of actions students are responsible for having a school-issued chromebook. The letter home begins with why we as teachers feel it is important for their students to have a chromebook inside and outside the classroom, and finishes with providing resources to  the parents addressing common concerns and an open line of communication if they wish to know more or create additional control settings

By creating this contract and letter with my PLC group, I feel as if I addressed the Vermont Educator Performance Criterion 1.1: Learning Theory, 1.2: Developmental Theory, 3.1: Active Engagement, and 3.2: Positive Social Interaction. We addressed Learning Theory by providing insight to parents on how and why this initiative is beneficial to their students learning inside and outside the classroom. This will create more engaging opportunities to learn and technology will only grow more present in each student’s individual lives as their years go on. This project also addressed Developmental Theory because we outlined to parents that this technology initiative is crucial not only as a student but also a human being by improving their digital literacy in the classroom to foster independent thinkers when they leave our schools. Performance Criteria 3.1 was addressed in a few ways, I believe, by outlining to parents that this initiative will allow for more active engagement throughout their student’s academic career. I also feel we addressed this same criteria in the sense that we as teachers are actively engaged with the parents and guardians of our students in order to create the best learning environment for each individual student. Introducing technology into student and family lives can be stressful and full of questions, but it is imperative for us as educators to establish an open line of communication between us and families so we can be the most effective teachers as possible, and so students can get the most out of learning. Lastly as a group, I feel we addressed Positive Social Interaction by telling the parents and guardians that at our school and during the time these students will be using the technology under our supervision, they will be safe and will be blocked from any negative websites that may deter or distract learning.

As a future educator, I have many hopes and one major fear revolving around digital teaching and learning.  My one main fear revolving around digital teaching and learning is the fact that our society and individual lives are highly digitalized already as it is, and feel that perhaps digital learning may take over some student’s lives and they may miss out on activities outdoors due to the dynamics of the world we live in. That same fear, though, gives me hope that one day I can be an educator who values digital teaching and learning, but also provides memorable learning experiences outside of the classroom and not involving technology. I hope to one day be an educator who finds the balance between digital learning and hands-on learning, because I truly do believe either of those two things could engage any learner in some form or another. Although I understand technology can provide engaging and meaningful learning experiences for students, I also understand that many of my personal learning experiences that I hold most dear to me take place outdoors and not near technology. As a high school student that experienced a weird blend of technology in the classroom, I feel as if I have some digital professional development ahead of to ensure I am a successful digital teacher. Through this, though, I am excited because I did not learn digitally very much at all during my school experiences, so learning as a professional will be an active learning experience that will require myself to be open with the changes new technology brings. In my mind, technology and digital tools for learning will always be changing and they will continue to change, so it will only be beneficial to myself and students if I am open to this change and learn with and through my students as we become better digital citizens together.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you immediately mentioned the importance of making sure parents know that their children would be safe when using their chrome books and the internet. I also think you made a very good point of how important it is to find the balance with technology, as we don't want it to completely take over. I wonder exactly what this balance is going to look like both in the future in general as well as in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you made a very valid point in understanding how students lives today are centered around digital technology. I also believe that you made an interesting observation when you mentioned how their must be a balance in lives today. As you said you learned a great deal from an outdoors environment, I believe that your experience will benefit your future students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the thinking that went into this quick exercise. Your justifications are strong! I also appreciate your honesty around digital teaching and learning as well as your future goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you addressed common fears that parents would have about technology,(safety). I also liked how you addressed your fear. With the growing emphasis on technology it is so easy to fear that our students will forget what a world without technology is like. I wonder how you will ensure you students have a healthy balance.

    ReplyDelete