Sunday, September 17, 2017

Literacy in a Digital Age and Humanism Curriculum Philosophy Project Reflection

Explain Everything
Spark Page

Over these first few weeks of the semester in my Literacy and Curriculum courses, I completed two separate projects with the iPad Apps Explain Everything and Adobe Spark Page. Using the Explain Everything App, I created a presentation based around the curriculum orientation philosophy that I most align myself with, which happens to be humanism. The audio features combined with the interactive slides allowed me to discuss the founders of humanism in education, and how it will influence my future curriculum as an educator. Using the Adobe Spark Page App, I also created a presentation on the meaning of literacy in a digital age, and what the implications of technology has on students as citizens of the world. This App allowed me to use visuals and text to convey my message about the way social media is can create literacy disconnect in the technological age, and the impact that has on the way we study current events and history.
Throughout my time working on these two projects and participating in class discussions and readings, I have developed a few connections between the two ideas. The first connection I made while reflecting on the presentations was that teaching digital literacy, especially as a humanistic educator, it is imperative for all educators moving forward in the twenty-first century. Humanist educators value student independence, voice and choice, and the belief that nothing should hold the student back from reaching their full potential. Those values cannot be carried out to students in their fullest potential if one is not digitally literate, due to the ability the technological age has of stripping us of our independence and freedom of thought. Whether it is political, economic, or social, the implications can be too large if one does not know how to think for themselves while viewing all different forms of texts on the web and social media. Another connection I made while reflecting on the project is that teaching digital and information literacy can be done in engaging ways when the instructor allows students to personalize their learning in order to build critical analysis skills. This can be done by students picking a topic of their own and choosing various sources that range in validity. Personalization brings it to life for the student and this is taps into the values of humanist philosophy in education. This will allow students to assess and evaluate which sources are credible and which ones are not. In the content area of social studies, information literacy is extremely important when evaluating sources to use for research because technology has given humans the ability to basically put whatever they want out on the internet and it is up to us, as digital citizens, to filter out persuasions and get down to the facts.

I believe through these two projects I address Performance Criteria 4.1 and 4.2 in the sense that in both projects, I communicated the central idea of humanism philosophy and how it impacts social studies education. In the literacy project, I feel as if I addressed the importance of digital and information literacy in the technological age, as well as pointing out that this literacy class has changed the way I view the term literacy and its meaning. Before this class, my ideas of literacy was more focused around reading and writing out of a book, but this quickly changed, as literacy carries many different meanings depending on the context, and this can be seen in the Spark Page. For Performance Criteria 5.1, this was connected through both projects by discussing the need for personalized learning in the Explain Everything presentation, as well as discussing the need for independent digital citizens that can view various texts, which can be seen in the glideshow of the Spark Page. Performance Criteria 5.2 was addressed again in both projects by discussing personalized learning, which inevitably bring up cross-disciplinary skills through student choice on different subjects. This also allows for creativity, which is a key component in the humanist philosophy. In my Spark Page presentation, I also touch upon the need to evaluate texts in a variety of different meanings and lenses in order to evaluate for the underlying meaning the author is attempting to send. To link to the SMC Mission Statement Pillar (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QCkkwaJQohb3T4KYMRUp42gf5BbY3exx_EubgiRRfS8/edit# ) these two projects combined emphasized the core values of creativity, curiosity, collaboration, reflection, and social justice. Both in the content of the project and the design of the presentations, I was able to advocate for creativity and curiosity in education by discussing humanist values and the implications that has on one being digitally literate. I was also able to expand upon my own creativity as a teacher by working with and using Apps that I have never been introduced to before. Moving forward, becoming more familiar with the technology that is at my disposal will only be more beneficial for my students and will be more likely to apply the core values shown above in their own lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment